GNU plus Chris
Friday, February 23, 2007
  FOSS alternatives and video editors
FOSS alternatives and video editors

This entry was originally published at Chris Harvey



It was a GNU Hurd developer that convinced me that its good to use FOSS on windows, some freedom is better none, even GNU Packages run on windows and most computer users run windows. So here’s a list of links. Some are equivalents to replace software on windows and some are the equivalent on GNU/Linux and some are cross platform so its stupid to call it the “Linux” equivalent. They also make the mistake of saying alternatives to commercial software. The opposite of FOSS is proprietary software.



Archie Moore


My friend Archie Moore asked


“Can you recommend any Free (as in freedom) video editing software like premiere.”


I dont know premiere so if its obivous to anyone please leave a comment. All of the videos I’ve developed has been using free software so I think it would better to say “I want to do this, do you know any software that can do that?”


The main one I use is Avidemux, basically you can take a video, chop it all up, apply some filters, resize, crop etc, maybe add some audio and then put it all back together and save it in the format you want. I also use Blender for some things.


I use ffmpeg, ffmpeg2theora and mencoder for converting to different formats. On windows you can use mediacoder.


Probably the most powerful one is Cinelerra but it only runs on GNU/Linux.


The others I look at every now and again are DIva and Pitivi.


Last I heard Archie was in the UK or Europe so I hope he’s having a good time.


There’s also a review of his Depth of Field exhibition, thats the one I checked out.



 
Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home
Contructing reality in quiet enjoyment.
This is my other Blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Visit Chris Harvey and Superuser.
Visit GNU Project and Free Software Foundation.
[FSF Associate Member]

ARCHIVES
April 2005 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 /


Powered by Blogger